Summers coming soon and there’s a lot of people wanting to lose some of that left over winter weight! Including myself. I’ve been eating all sorts of crap recently. I’ve easily eaten 1000+ kcals more than I should everyday for the past week!
I went to the safari park yesterday with my wife and for some reason, my eyes were drawn to every food stand in the park. If I let myself get carried away, I can EAT. That’s exactly what happened on Friday and Saturday.
I got a bit too carried away! The story goes a little something like this… On the way to the safari park I had a chicken and bacon sandwich, crisps and chicken fridge raiders, I then had two cookies (I have no idea why I don’t even like sweet things!)
Then I proceeded to search for a burger shack in the park with a look in my eyes similar to that of Hannibal Lecter. I ordered a grilled chicken burger, fries and hot chocolate.
Immediately after I had a chicken zinger burger, fries and half a coke (I left the other half) from KFC! Then I went to an Indian restaurant and teared that place up like the Tasmanian Devil. I ordered enough for a small horse. Plus a huge dessert on top of all that!
The next morning I woke up in the hotel thinking what the eff did I eat yesterday…?! My stomach was like I had swallowed a size 14 bowling ball. I decided to let the food digest and eat later in the afternoon. Did I do that? NO.
I ended up walking past a Dominoes pizza in the town centre and I found myself sitting inside eating a pepperoni pizza and garlic bread at 12 in the afternoon!
I don’t stress about over eating. Things happen. Everyone has good days and bad days (although I had more of a bad week rather than a bad day).
I’ve decided to write a post for everyone who wants to lose some fat and feel good. A lot of websites and diet groups charge money and make weight loss such a long winded torturing process.
Well, in fact, it’s not very hard for someone to lose fat. You certainly don’t have to pay to do it either. All you need is a little knowledge and some will power. The latter is down to you. As for the knowledge, I’m going to provide everything you need to know to succeed in losing fat.
I’ve realised that a lot of the articles I have written have been geared towards weight training recently. That’s not my intention for this website. I want to create a website that everyone can benefit from, including people who don’t use a gym.
Fitness is not just about weights or exercises, it’s also about healthy nutrition and diet. That’s why I added a nutrition/diet section to the site originally. As I said in my about page, I believe life is a learning process.
I’m still learning everyday. I don’t claim to be some fitness guru who eats healthy every single day. I’m just a regular guy learning through trial and error and I’m sharing my ideas with people who may benefit from them.
The chubby face and belly;
I remember at one point I never had access to a gym. I would search the internet and read all day on how to build muscle and lose fat without a gym membership.
People carry excess fat in different places. My fat likes to hang out on my face and around my lower stomach like school kids outside a shop! Anyway …
The things I learnt were very valuable because I learnt that you can actually lose fat without training! After applying the knowledge I learnt, I dropped my body fat level considerably and preserved most of my muscle mass.
I know that not many people have access to gyms or have the time to train (I was one of them) but don’t let that stop you from reaching your bodyweight and fitness goals. In fact, losing fat is quite easy once you get the hang of it.
I’ve seen a lot of ‘burn fat fast’ kind of supplements. I just want to warn you that most of these are a load of crap. They are designed by so called ‘fitness’ companies with one thing in mind, to take your money. There’s a much simpler and healthier way to lose fat than putting random tablets into your body. Keep reading and I will explain…
I talked about calories and macronutrients in my other post. If you missed it, you can read it here.
Fat loss is a simple equation, Calories In VS Calories Out = YOUR RESULT
Calories ‘In’ are the number of calories you eat in a day. Calories ‘Out’ are the amount of calories you use or ‘burn’ in a day.
We all use a certain amount of calories in a day just to keep our vital organs functioning without doing any exercise at all. This is known as our Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).
We then have another calorie level which is called our ‘calorie maintenance level’. This is the level of calories our bodies need to maintain its current weight. Don’t get this confused with BMR.
Important fact to remember: 1lb OF BODY FAT EQUALS 3500 CALORIES.
So we need to eat 500kcals less everyday in order to lose 1lb of fat a week.
- 500 fewer calories a day, 7days a week:
- 500 x 7 = 3500kcals = 1lb of fat loss … “simples” as Alexander the Meerkat would say.
Our bodies are intelligent!
Our bodies are built to survive. We store unused calories as fuel for later (fat). If we eat under our calorie maintenance level this forces our bodies to go into our reserved storage.
One common thing people assume is eating next to nothing for long periods of time (days) will speed up the fat burning process. This will force your body to go into starvation mode and hold on to all the fat because you’re body does not know when it will get food next! Eating regular lets your body know that it’s okay to go into your fat reserves as you will be eating again soon and getting more fuel.
Now losing 1lb per a week depends on how much you are overweight for your frame size. People that are more overweight for their frame will lose a lot more fat than 1lb a week in the first few weeks.
As they approach their natural size there body will slow down the rate of fat loss and gear towards 1lb per a week. It’s not uncommon for people to lose up to 4lbs a week in the first few weeks of dieting. I’ve seen this happen many times before.
How to do it;
I’m now going to map out the way for you to lose fat in an easy and simple way to understand, with clear step by step instructions.
- Set yourself a goal as to how much weight you exactly want to lose! You need to have a clear goal in mind.
- Download ‘MyFitnessPal’ on your phone or mobile tablet. This app I’ve mentioned before in the cutting post. It honestly is probably the best app I’ve ever used hands down. It tracks all your calories and macro’s for you so you know how much you’re eating and when to stop.
- Find your calorie maintenance level. You can do that here. This is an online calculator. All you need to do is enter your weight, height and age then the calculator will give you your calorie maintenance level.
- Enter your maintenance level in MyFitnessPal. On the left-hand side click goals. Then click calories and macronutrient goals. Now you can enter you maintenance level minus 500. So if it was 2500kcals, enter 2000kcals.
- Set your macro nutrients to 40% protein, 30%carbs and 30% fats. When losing weight it is very important to keep your protein high as this helps preserve your muscle mass.
- Now you’re all set! Whenever you eat, enter the name of the food into the app by scanning the barcode of the package or entering the name of food manually into the search. MyFitnessPal will do the rest.
- All you have to do is make sure you don’t go over your calories. Also, keep an eye on the macro’s of the food you eat. You can do this by going to the bottom of the page on the app and clicking the ‘nutrition’ tab. Here it will show you how many grams of carbs, proteins and fats you have eaten and how much are left to reach your goal for that day.
For a list of good carbs, proteins and fats you can eat, see my post on calories and macronutrients. The link is in this article at the top in the calories paragraph.
Some useful tips that really work well!
- Avoid carbs in the evening after 8pm. Try to eat your carbs early in the day and before 8pm. Carbs are fuel/energy for your body and you don’t need energy when you are about to sleep.
- Eat as many vegetables as possible. Vegetables are low in calories and high in volume. So it actually takes your body more calories to digest them than you get from them! (yes you heard right just by eating vegetables you burn calories!). This applies for most vegetables. Not all of them. Here is a list of some foods that burn calories when eaten;
- Keep protein high! If you find it hard to reach the protein goals you have set get some protein shake supplements. Go for whey protein. (This applies to women too!)
You can get good quality cheap protein from myprotien.com. I have brought protein from many companies and this is honestly the best one I have purchased from. It also beats all the prices of the other companies. I am not affiliated with this company in any way; this is just my honest advice.
- Drink loads of water. When you drink water your body releases stored water. Your fat loss will speed up and benefit greatly from this and it will flush the body of toxins.
- Eat small frequent meals. This helps keep the metabolism moving. Food will be easier to digest and used up quicker than eating 1-2 big meals a day. Try to eat at least 3 meals a day.
- Try to change white carbs to brown carbs – by this I mean eat brown rice, brown bread, and brown pasta instead of white.
- Don’t have any white refined sugar (yes even in your tea or coffee!) White sugar spikes your insulin levels and prohibits your body from breaking down fat. If you really have to have some then have the bare minimum amount but try not to. You will get used to sugarless tea or coffee after a week.
- Cut down or cut out junk food, this includes chocolates, fizzy drinks, crisps etc. These foods are very high in calories and also contain a lot of bad carbohydrates that will also spike insulin levels.
- Go for a quick 15-minute walk in the morning before breakfast. Take the dog, walk with a family member or just stroll alone. Walking on an empty stomach speeds up the fat burning process rapidly.
- Treat yourself once a week to something, that you enjoy e.g takeaway etc. Dieting isn’t supposed to be torture. Just don’t forget to add the food into MyfitnessPal and don’t go over your calories.
- Weigh yourself every week at the same times to check your progress!
Follow these steps and you will be on your way to attaining the summer body that you want. If you know anyone that will benefit from this post please don’t forget to share it!
If you have any other tips I would love to hear them. Just leave a comment below.
P.S – Is anyone up for a 30day challenge? I’m going to do a 30day challenge for myself and see how much fat I can lose in one month using these techniques. If anyone wants to join me let me know in the comments or email me. It will be cool to do it with some people to share the experience and progression. Plus summers coming up so it will be beneficial!